GUIDELINES FOR SPEECH EVENTS:
Here are some more specific guidelines for impromptu that might be of use as you help your kids prepare for our tournament (if you’ve been working from last year’s guidelines, have no fear, the below are identical). We will use the DANEIS parli rules posted on our website: DANEIS Parli Rules
IMPROMPTU (2 minutes of preparation. 3-5 minute speech with a 15-second grace period on either end)
Each speaker will be given three topics in the ZOOM chat, which may be words, quotations, or phrases (anything not specifically related to current events). The speaker will have two minutes to prepare, during which time he/she may make notes, but these notes may not be used during the speech. Wit, humor, philosophy, sentiment, absurdity are equally welcome. Although a speaker may make reference to the words or beliefs of others, whether fictional or real characters, he or she must speak in his or her own person for the substantial majority of the speech (competitors may not adopt a persona for their speeches).
Judges will be looking for agility of thought, for the development of ideas, for strong organization, and, above all, for the ability of each speaker to communicate with style and originality. It is strictly understood that competitors will not use prepared material for this event.
NOTE: Plagiarism, including the repetition of an example that a competitor used in a recent competition, will be grounds for disqualification.
- Speeches should be structured and logical.
- Speeches should be based on the chosen topic.
- Canned/rehearsed/reworked impromptus will be penalized.
- Hate speech of any kind is unacceptable.
- No props of any kind are permitted.
- The speaker must state the topic at the end of their speech.
- No notes of any kind, other than the topic paper are permitted during the speech.
- Although a speaker may refer to the words or beliefs of others, whether fictional or real characters, he or she must speak in his or her own person for the substantial majority of the speech. Adoption of a persona is not allowed for Impromptu speaking.